Fire door regulation for plant rooms and wood fuel stores

Guest TimTayl

We are a provider of turnkey biomass boiler systems for domestic and commerical users.

My question is:

Are there any UK regulations for fire rating of doors for plant rooms and wood fuel stores?

Kind regards

Tim

Yes there are the building regulations, Approved documents J and B volumes 1 and 2. ADB states they are considered places of special fire hazard and consequently the DCLG guidance says they will need to be enclosed in fire resisting construction in non-domestic premises and the level of fire resistance will depend on the location.

In dwellings you will need to discuss it with building control it appears there is no requirement to enclose it maybe because of the size of the boiler and the fuel is usually stored away from the premises?

Check out http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/ and the guides at http://www.firesafe.org.uk/regulatory-reform-fire-safety-order-2005/

• 3 years later...

Hi Mr Sutton i was wondering if u could advise me on the feasibility of plant rooms within a assembly hall that has a 75 kw gas fired boiler. The plant room has no internal access to the assembly house and one door leading to the stairwell on the external wall of the building. the building is in scotland and is defined as an assembly building under the technical handbook.

If it is allowed inside an assembly hall what would be the fireproofing of walls and ceilings. Ihave acces to all british standards but cant track anything down.

Kind Regrads

Scott Mclean

Scott my advice is confined to England and Wales and my knowledge of Scottish and Northern Ireland legislation limited but you should be checking out "PRACTICAL FIRE SAFETY GUIDANCE FOR PLACES OF ENTERTAINMENT AND ASSEMBLY" which is the guidance for your situation. It does say “A place of special fire risk should be enclosed by compartment walls with a medium duration (60 minutes) fire-resistance”. Which would include the ceiling, so I would suggest that the walls and ceiling should conform to a minimum of 60 minutes fire resistance. I do not believe any British Standard will be of any use in this situation.