Smoke Alarm Category question

William Austin

Hi,

I've a question regarding smoke alarm categories and which is best suited/required for my home.

House is a 2 storey 4 bed detached built in 2016 with a protected stairway fire strategy, fire doors to each of the rooms which exit into the hall/landing, the windows are not egress

I currently have a Category L3 system installed with a smoke alarm in the hallway and landing, however I'm wondering if it should be an L2 system with a smoke alarm in each of the bedrooms, living room and a heat detector in the kitchen.

I see that Approved Document B Volume 1 2013 states " new dwellinghouses should be provided with smoke alarms in accordance with the BS 5839-6 to at least a Grade D2 Category LD3 standard.", however it also states "It should also be noted that the guidance for a typical one or two storey dwellinghouse is limited to the provision of smoke alarms and to the provision of openable windows for emergency egress.", which I take to mean that the advice for an L3 system is based on the assumption that the house has egress windows as a means of escape.

Given the current L3 system installed, if a fire started in the kitchen for example smoke would need to pass through the close kitchen door and into the hallway before triggering the smoke alarm, which would mean smoke in the area defined as the escape route. 

Any advice on which category of smoke alarm system should be installed.

Thanks

If it is your own private house that you live in, it is up to you to install/have installed any more smoke alarms as you see fit. Ideally as you said each bedroom should have its own smoke alarm as well as each habitable room (Lounge, dining room, study etc) also as you said the kitchen should have a heat alarm. It is also a good idea to have a carbon monoxide alarm in any room that has a fuel burning appliance. Alarms should be interlinked

If you are in England you can have what you want if it's your own private dwelling. If your budget stretches to it the optimum cover is LD1 which is virtually everywhere (as you have described). LD2 (hallways/landings, kitchen & principle habitable room) is a good in-between and is quite commonly installed in new builds even where not legally obligated to.