Fire Alarm Maintenance Scheduling

Guest Anya H

Guest Anya H

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on the scheduling of fire alarm testing - the company I work for are in contract with an NSI gold company for maintenance for fire alarms across our estate, I have been having issues with the scheduling of appointments recently (instead of 6 months apart it is regularly trying to be scheduled for 3 and 9 month intervals - on querying this with the company they just keep telling me: 

"Maintenance schedules are set up on commencement of contract dates and are due from that month and not from the date of the last maintenance visit, We have 28 days prior and after the due dates to comply with NSI regulations."

When we set up the contracts it was for one annual visit, we have increased this to 6 monthly after the original scheduled dates were provided - The last visit for several of our sites was June, I am being asked to book testing in again for September and have refused as this is barely three months and would then leave a 9 month gap until the next inspection. Whether they are scheduling based on the original provided date (of May) or not, I cannot see how September is coming up on their scheduling. I've asked them to explain this to me many times and ensure they are attending every 6 months - but could someone clarify if i'm missing something here! 

I believe it should follow this regulation: 

BS5839-1-2017

The recommended period between successive inspection and servicing visits should not exceed six months – failure to implement this recommendation will result in the system not being compliant with BS 5839-1, with no allowance for variation

and the FIA website states: 

The period between successive inspection and servicing visits should not exceed six months. There is currently no relaxation on this. Even if it’s just one day.

Thank you 

Remember the FIA support the trade primarily...It should be no greater than 6 months but in the real world a bit of leeway is acceptable, if you have the visit booked within the month due you are unlikely to face enforcement action (but insurers may be more strict).

A 9 month gap is another matter and it sounds like your contractor is taking on more work than they have the resources to service and you may need to look around for another provider.

Guest Anya H

Thank you very much for your reply, I agree. 

We have 27 sites with this contractor currently and I am doing more of the scheduling work than they are at the moment!